Retail Marijuana Licenses
The Select Board is the licensing authority for Retail Marijuana Licenses in Tewksbury. This page contains helpful guidance documents, application materials, and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to help prospective retailers navigate the licensing process.
Relevant Documents & Links
- List of Community Outreach Meetings Noticed to Select Board (PDF)
- Community Outreach Meeting Notices Received by Select Board (PDF)
- Retail Marijuana License Application Package (PDF)
- Zoning Map for Retail Marijuana (PDF)
- Articles Approved at Special Town Meeting Related to Retail Marijuana (pending AG approval) (PDF)
- Marijuana Retail Sales Regulations Amended March 7, 2023 (PDF)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How many retail marijuana licenses does Tewksbury allow?
Three. The Select Board shall not issue more marijuana retail sales licenses than the number that is 20% of the number of liquor licenses for off-premises alcohol consumption that have been issued by the Select Board pursuant to M.G.L. Chapter 138, Section 15, as rounded up to the nearest whole number in the event the number is a fraction.
Which zoning districts allow for the sale of retail marijuana?
- General Business District (Lowell Line-655 Main Street)
- South Village Business District (1900 Main Street-Wilmington Line)
- Industrial 2 (Rockland/Hillman/Washington Streets & East/Carter Streets)
- Interstate Overlay District (Interchanges of Rt. 495 & 93)
What other approvals are required for retail marijuana facilities?
Applicants are required to receive Site Plan Approval from the Tewksbury Planning Board as well as state licensing at the Cannabis Control Commission (CCC).
Are retail marijuana licenses transferable?
No licensee may transfer a license to another person or entity, or transfer the license or operations to another location, without Select Board approval. Any transfer shall be subject to the terms and conditions of the original license, unless otherwise stipulated by the Select Board.