- Fire Department
- Becoming a Firefighter
Becoming a Firefighter
The mission of the Tewksbury Fire Department is to protect and educate our community, show courtesy and compassion to all, and continue the honored tradition and dedication of the fire service that exceeds expectations.
Risk Management Statement
- We will begin our response on the assumption that we can protect lives and property. We will risk ourselves a lot, if necessary, to protect a savable life.
- We will risk ourselves a little, using rationally aggressive tactics, to protect savable property.
- We will not risk ourselves at all to save lives or property that is already lost.
Dedicated to the community, firefighting profession, and each other.
- Compassion, fairness, and integrity are practiced in all our endeavors.
- Going above and beyond the standard in service delivery.
- Having pride in the organization and the service we provide to the community.
- Leaving a situation or problem better than we found it.
- Trust and confidence in knowing and doing our jobs to the best of our abilities.
About Becoming a Firefighter in Tewksbury
Tewksbury is a member of the Civil Service System.
- The State Civil Service entrance exam for firefighters is held every two years. Go to the Massachusetts Civil Service Exam Info for the latest examination schedule.
- Residence preference is given to those who live in Tewksbury for 12 months prior to the actual exam.
- Tewksbury requires all new hires to be Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs). Being an EMT, or being enrolled in an EMT course, prior to employment is preferred.
- New hires have one year to obtain their EMT certification.
- Before being hired a thorough background investigation is conducted along with a full pre-employment physical.
- Once selected, new hires attend the 10-week Massachusetts Fire Academy's Recruit Training Program in Stow. Some communities, such as Boston and Worcester have their own training academies.
View the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy Becoming A Firefighter
View the Civil Service for examination information