General Bylaw Committee
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Review the entire Town of Tewksbury General By-Laws and make recommendations for updates or changes for a future Town Meeting. The committee shall meet with stakeholders affected by any specific By-Law for input and recommendations. The committee will determine if a consultant is needed and work with the Town Manager to seek funding at Town Meeting. At the conclusion of their work, the committee will submit a report to the Board of Selectmen and meet with the Board of Selectmen regarding review and suggested changes.
Initiative & Goals
- Review the existing text and recommend updated language
- Determine if a consultant is needed
- Prepare a Draft Report for Board of Selectmen
- Hold Public Meetings on Draft Report
- Prepare Final Report for Board of Selectmen
- Present Report to Board of Selectmen
- Hold Public Meetings on Final Report
- Prepare Town Meeting Warrant Article
The committee cannot sign or bind the Town to any contracts. Contracts must be presented to the Town Manager for prior approval and signature. All contracts and services for events must follow proper procurement and bidding procedures regardless of the funding source. There is no funding allocated for this committee. Any funds will need Town Meeting approval.
Criteria for Membership
- 1 member of the Board of Selectmen
- Four members-at-large appointed by the Board of Selectmen
- Town Clerk and Town Manager will serve as non-voting ex-officio members
- All members must be properly sworn in by the Town Clerk
- All members must comply with the State Conflict of Interest Law
- As representatives of the Town, members must have the ability to work well with others.
The Tewksbury Board of Selectmen by vote at a public meeting may from time to time make changes to this document or disband the committee as deemed in the Town's best interest.